For most members of the Fulton County Sheriff’s Office Reserve Unit, 2018 was not unlike other years in terms of the number of civic events and law enforcement activities we worked. The following is a summary of the civic events we supported during 2018, in addition to our law enforcement duties in Administrative Services, Court Services, Jail and the Law Enforcement Division :
- National Football Championship – January 5th and 8th
- MLK Day Celebration – January 15th
- Black History Month Parade – February 24th
- Beastly Feast Atlanta Zoo – May 5th
- Operation Safe Summer – May 2nd, 9th, 16th, 23rd, 30th
- Summerhill Parade – June 16th
- Juneteenth Parade – June 16th
- Joan Garner Health Walk – October 6th
- Clark Atlanta University Homecoming Parade – October 13th
- H.Y.P.E. Conference – October 13th
- Morris Brown College Homecoming Parade – October 20th
- Morehouse College Homecoming Parade – October 27th
- ATL Fire Station 16 Christmas Party – December 8th
- Special Citizens Christmas Party – December 9th
- Helping Hands International Holiday Dinner – December 22nd
On December 12th, Sheriff Jackson announced the promotion of six reservists, two were elevated to the rank of lieutenant and four to sergeant. The promotions took effect on December 26, 2018.
In 2019, our list of events and activities starts with the MLK Day Celebration on January 21st, followed by nearly two weeks of law enforcement duties leading up to and during the Super Bowl.
Almost immediately after the Super Bowl, we will be providing security for the annual Black History Month Parade. The balance of 2019 will closely mirror the events and activities we worked in 2018.